Friday, August 6, 2010

No, you still can't hear me now.

One reaction to the landslide passing of Missouri Proposition C came from US Senator Claire McCaskill (D-MO): "Message received." Really? The Senator went on to say, "I think I have to work very hard at making sure that Missourians understand all the positives things that are in the bill." Is it worse that you aren't really receiving the message as you claim or that you have indeed received it but have chosen to ignore it? I am sick of this reaction by politicians in the federal government to the will of the people.

But my frustration does not end there. Much of the reaction in the press has been that the passing of Prop C is merely symbolic, that it is another message sent to Washington DC, or a portent of things to come in the general election a few months hence, and nothing more. I vehemently disagree with all of the above! As a Missouri voter, I was given the opportunity to decide whether I wanted to be free to choose whether to purchase health insurance, free to choose how to pay for health care for myself and my family, all without the threat of penalties or fines for exercising that freedom. I wanted to preseve this freedom for myself and my children. I also cast my vote in favor of Prop C to protect the the freedom of my neighbors, even if they wanted to remain in the bondage of Obamacare, because Prop C does NOT mean that all Missourians will be exempt from the federal mandate in the particulars of the state law.

The only message I might be sending to anyone is "Leave me alone, let my state be prosperous, let me be free to care for myself and my family as I see fit."

No comments:

Post a Comment